Contact Form


Email *

Message *


Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What do you mean my insurance doesn’t cover that? What do you mean I’m not covered? These aren’t questions you want to be asking after you’ve filed a claim. As your Farmers agent, it’s my goal to help you understand the auto coverage you have so you can be sure it’s what you want. States vary in what insurance they require drivers to carry; most require at least liability coverage with minimum limits. Here’s a brief review of the primary types of coverage that may be in your policy. Take a look at it, and then give me a call. We can get together and review your current coverage so you can see whether it’s what you want or if you want to make changes.


Bodily injury — covers the expenses associated with other people’s injuries or death such as medical expenses, loss of income and pain and suffering cause by you or someone driving your car with your permission, up to a limit chosen by you. Most states require drivers to carry a minimum amount of bodily injury coverage but you may want to consider buying more: If you’re found at fault in a serious accident you could be sued, and higher limits of liability coverage could help protect your assets.

Property damage liability — pays for damage up to a limit chosen by you that you or someone driving your vehicle with your permission may cause to someone else’s property such as damage to someone else’s vehicle, but it also includes damage to lamp posts, telephone poles, fences, buildings or other structures your vehicle hits.

Medical Payments or Personal Injury Protection (PIP) — pays for medical bills and funeral expenses for you or a passenger injured in an accident while riding in your vehicle, up to a limit chosen by you. It may also cover you or a family member who is a passenger injured in someone else’s vehicle or a pedestrian struck by a vehicle.

Collision — pays for the damage to your vehicle resulting from a collision with another vehicle, object or as a result of flipping over. This coverage is typically required if your vehicle is leased or if you have an outstanding loan on the vehicle.

Comprehensive — helps protect your investment in your vehicle by covering damage resulting from many different kinds of perils including fire, theft, falling objects, riots, storms, earthquakes, floods, and collision with a bird or animal. Like collision coverage, comprehensive coverage generally includes a deductible that you select. This coverage is normally required if your vehicle is leased or if you have an outstanding loan on the vehicle.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage — subject to a limit selected by you, covers injury to you, your family members and your passengers in an accident with a motorist who has no insurance, or a motorist who lacks enough coverage to compensate for the damage caused, or a hit-and-run driver. It also covers you and your family members injured as a pedestrian. Coverage typically includes payment of medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering.

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage — covers damage to your insured vehicle caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.

I’m here to help
Auto insurance can be confusing and difficult to understand so call me and we can review your coverage and discuss your concerns or questions so you can make an informed decision about what’s appropriate for your situation. It also will give us the opportunity to see whether you might be eligible for any of the discounts Farmers offers. Call me today at 713-688-8669.

No comments: